« Home | Birthday Blues » | Observations from an unwell fan... » | I love these two ads... » | Familiar people and First Times... » | Goodbye, Good Food and Good Riddance... » | Great idea + great execution = Comedy Gold » | MV of the Week #1 » | I found the remedy to ace the presentation... » | OMG!!! I'm gonna get lucky!!!11!! » | Bye Bye Sissy... »

World Cup and Paranoia

Ahhh, 2006. The year where the 4 years once World Cup tournament would be held. For one month, eyes of football fanatics would stay glued to the telly to watch 22 men chase and kick a small ball around a grass patch. Many people, non fans or women simply do not understand why they would do that for. It's for the honour of their country and the right to be called world champions of course! Simply put, the World Cup is the holy grail of football.

The winning team would be awarded the World Cup trophy. But the thing is, they ain't getting the real 18 carat solid gold trophy weighting 5kg as the rules state that it would never be won outright. Instead, a replica gold plated trophy would be given to t
he winner to keep until the next tournament.


So when the real World Cup trophy was slated to go on a world tour for the first time ever, fans of the sport were probably hoping it would come to their country. Even though we are only a tiny island, we are the 18th stop in the 3 month tour covering 29 countries. I quickly secured two tickets a week before the exhibiton was to be held.

I think I must had the surprise of the month when my friend called me while I was on the train. He said he somehow met our classmate there. I was like 0_o. No way in hell would he ever come to Suntec carrying his bag and wearing those uncle clothes as usual? I was proven wrong. He did had his usual school bag and wore those unfashionable clothes like I had thought. That was a pleasant surprise to start the day off. Apparently, he was there for the Career Fair
.

Of course we had to drag him to see the trophy with us, though I can pretty much guess he had zero interest in it. After he queued up to get the ticket, we all went in. While we walked around, he kept asking me where the trophy was. Bloody hell, even the football fan in me isn't as impatient and eager as him. Then we got into a hall and was told to sit down to watch some movie.

It was a short 3D movie and it was a miracle I walked out still having the ability to hear. Throughout the movie, I had to tolerate the loud sound effects as the damn speakers were just behind us. As we walked out, I finally saw the thing we were here for. But first we had to queue up to get our turn to take a Polaroid photo with it.

That was the best shot I could get of the trophy. The other photos I took wasn't as clear because the gold of the trophy just reflected back to my lenses and made the photos blur. Haha. As I stared at the trophy when it was my turn to pose and take a picture with it, there was an urge to touch it. But of course I would be out of my mind to do that because there were policeman all around looking at your every move. Nontheless, it was a fascinating moment to be so physically close to the real thing as all along I had only seen it on TV.

While we were playing the new FIFA2006 game on the fabulous XBox 360, the geeky friend of ours had to excuse himself to visit the Career Fair again. I suspect there must be lots of hot babes there for him to visit it twice. Haha. Anyway, after getting trashed twice, we decided to go have lunch. Usually when I am in the area, I would most probably visit Carl's Junior
@ Marina Square and stuff myself with junk food.


I think I could count with my two hands the times I had patronised it since their first outlet was opened here last year. Since then, they had two more oulets if I'm not wrong. Fast food in Singapore kinda sucks in the sense that the burgers are usually small. The only one I could half tolerate is Burger King. But still, it pales in comparison with Carl's Jr as the food serving is definitely not JUNIOR, unlike the name suggests. Of course, the price is a little steep. You can buy two McDonald's meals with one meal here! The system is like MOS Burger where they would deliver your order and there's free flow of drinks. It is worth it as you would feel pretty full later.

While we ate, my friend suggested watching a movie. The first flim that came into my mind was "Munich" but he insisted on watching Big Momma House 2. I mean, even if you don't know what the movie is about, once you hear the title, you would probably guess that it must be something silly. Even the newspaper 2 ticks rating couldn't changed his mind. He would rather watch a brainless and lame show than to watch one which is nominated for Oscar awards. All along, I had suspected his taste in movies but I reluctantly agreed to go along with his choice as it was shown at an earlier time than mine.

While we were walking to the cinema, that geeky friend of ours finally called. I think I nearly scolded him when I heard his voice but I resisted. It is because I told him to switch on his phone while he left us in Suntec and later I tried to call a few times as we were going to eat but all I got was the damn voicemail. My friend told me to ask him if he wanted to waste money tag along to watch the movie with us. I think he would be a fool if he said yes. Of course being the good boy, he declined and asked me which is the cheapest way to go home. DUH! I think I really wanted to *$*#@^@* him for asking such a stupid question. But of course being the nice classmate, I told him to take a bus home. I don't know why but he also told me that he saw two female classmates of ours at the Career Fair. I can only say WHAT'S WITH THE CAREER FAIR SERIOUSLY???? How come so many of them go there?

My friend wasn't satisfied with only recruiting me to agree to his evil plan, so he called those two female classmates and asked them to join us to waste money watch with us. Thankfully, they were smart enough to say no also. Only some idiot like me would say yes. But that is only because I could afford to waste money. All thanks to Mr Hasselbaink :)
I was surprised to hear those two applied for jobs at the IT Fair? I can't imagine them as showgirls really. Maybe they aren't. But if they are, surely there are better jobs out there?


As we passed by the bowling alley, I pointed to the one lady who threw the ball into the "drain". I told him I was like her. My money is already down the drain. The movie was pretty lame as expected. I think I only really laughed like twice throughout the movie. The other parts were so corny but yet the audience laughed like idiots at every other scene. All I can say is AVOID WATCHING BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE 2 IF YOU PLAN TO. It is that bad. Even the gay themed Brokeback Mountain would make a much better choice really! Oh well, at least my friend admitted afterwards that it was rubbish and we should had watched Munich instead.

Maybe I was too worried inside while watching to really enjoy the movie. I am getting paranoid by that decision made by that one individual. In fact, I still am thinking about it now. Arrgh, I don't know why but I can't stop thinking about it. But first, I got to find out more before I go crazy for nothing.

The Author

About me

Who am I?
You can call me Jul

What I do?
Full Time Underpaid and Reluctant NSF/Part Time Weekend Footballer

What I think about me?
I don't know what to write here honestly. Kinda weird to describe myself. I don't want to sound full of myself or put myself down too much like I usually do...so hey, if you think I am what you think I am, then I am really what you think I am then...I'm fine either way...

My profile
Powered by Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Get Firefox!